Friday, April 16, 2010

Death at a Funeral

The American version of Death at a Funeral was the kind of movie that was funny when it was supposed to be funny. You'd think that would make it a great comedic movie, right? Well, you would only be half right. A movie should have all it's parts blend together well, even when it comes to comedies. Every moment that was a joke made me laugh, but those other moments, the scenes between the comedy, just didn't flow together at all.

I'd blame it mostly on Luke Wilson and Zoe Saldana's characters. Honestly, their scenes looked like they were put in by accident. There was no clear dialog or realistic story between the two of them. I guess I'd say it felt like the editors had to cut time out of the movie, so they cut out the parts that made their scenes make sense. It seemed like there was supposed to be something important between them whenever they were on the screen together, but it never really worked out, instead, it only felt awkward. A shame, because I dig Luke Wilson.


image via www.imdb.com


Unfortunately not every actors lines were funny. I don't think it was the actors fault, because they're all very funny comedians. I think the script lacked comedic moments for certain characters. The funniest person was James Marsden. It could have been because he was high as hell the whole movie, but he pulled it off very convincingly! His scenes were the best, and close second would be Tracy Morgan. He does one liners like no other. His bathroom scene (in the movie trailer, it's the scene where his hand gets stuck under Danny Glovers butt when he's pooping), was super funny. But it also made me gag. I really thought I was going to throw up! Eck, just replaying it in my head is making me sick!

This is the kind of movie I'd suggest waiting until it's on DVD to watch. I'm not saying it was bad, in fact, it wasn't bad at all. I really enjoyed it, even through the gagging. I think the actors did the best job they could, given what they were given with the script. The comedic scenes were seriously hilarious. A few times the whole theater, including me, started yelling things like "ohhh, nooo!! Gross" or "What?! Oh my god!" while laughing. But I wouldn't have minded waiting and saving a few bucks to watch Death at a Funeral on DVD.


xoxo
e.m.


2 comments:

  1. do me a favor? go to your nearest blockbuster or redbox and go rent "Death at a Funeral"...the ORIGINAL. It only came out like 2 years ago. Like i said, i am going to watch it today at noon-ish, so ill come back and add yet another comment, but this is your homework assignment. Go rent it ASAP, watch it, and tell me what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg....that was painful. I think i laughed out loud once or twice (at the poop jokes, and the naked James Marsden). Definitely knew it wouldnt live up to my expectations, but MY GOD! It's literally a carbon copy of the original, but instead of british humor, you get something that misses the mark.

    Kick Ass, by the way, kicked EFFIN ass!!! Thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete