Friday, April 23, 2010

Character OTW

It may seem like a bad sign that I did not post my OTW yesterday. But, we're all positive people here, right? I'm new to this whole blogging thing, and I'm honestly trying to figure out how to plan everything in a timely matter. It also doesn't help that I am such a procrastinator. Tsk Tsk, I know.

Now that you're done thinking mean things about me, let's get on with yesterdays OTW. As I was brainstorming ideas for seven OTW's, I got kind of stuck after a few ideas. Then, Wa-BAM, it came to me... something I thought could be really interesting. Character of the week. Not a real person--- a character. Could be a movie, t.v. show, literary, or cartoon character, and so on. Pretty clever, don't ya think?

The Character of the Week is:



image via www.celeblove.com

Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan from Fox's Bones


There are so many different characters on television these days, a lot of which are difficult for watchers to connect with. So when a character stands out as strongly as Temperance Brennan, it's hard not to take notice. In fact, the show has such a solid foundation with it's characters, it's impossible not to feel connected to the whole cast. The show follows Dr. Brennan and Special Agent Booth, who solve murders using forensic anthropology, and have mad crazy chemistry. (They are so meant to be together!)

It's evident that the writers put a lot of thought into Temperance, from her back story (quite sad, actually) to the way she is as a person. Successful, smart, and wealthy, it would seem she has it all. However, the important quality she lacks is compassion in common sense situations. Also, she doesn't censor herself, even around victims families, and her opinions can be difficult to understand. But Bones isn't like that just for the sake of the show itself. There are reasons to why she puts walls up and states facts rather than expressing feelings. She spent most of her teenage years going in and out of foster homes, after being abandoned by her parents and older brother, and got picked on a lot as a kid.

I think, at the core, her whole story is just really sad. I find her to be very interesting and I can really connect with her. Plus, she is really funny. Not purposely funny of course, most of the time she doesn't even understand jokes, let alone make the jokes herself. And when she does make a joke that she finds to be hilarious, no one really gets it.

It also helps that Emily Dechanel is crazy good at portraying Bones. She's a fantastic actress and has great chemistry with David Boreanaz (isn't he smokin' hot?!). I'm huge fan of Bones and I think you should be too! :) It's already on its 5th season (yay!) and recently celebrated their 100th episode!! Check it out, Thursday nights on Fox.

xoxo
e.m.


2 comments:

  1. i LOVE bones! I find myself watching it more for the characters and their interaction and growth then for the murder/mystery aspect. As an anthropologist, i understand Temperence when she gets all scientific lol...which makes the show even more fun for me. I love the back stories and i feel connected with the group of squints. And Booth's development has been fantastic over the 5 seasons. This show doesnt get enough credit for the fantastic character building it has done.

    Bravo for mentioning her, EM :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH I LOVE YOUR COMMENT! I couldn't agree more!!! That's how I used to feel on House, now the whole show is kind of a dud for me. But Bones never disappoints. The murder/mysteries are only interesting to me because it gives Bones and Booth new people to interact with, and they always make it so funny and interesting.

    I'm glad you liked my first Character otw! :)

    ReplyDelete