Sunday, September 2, 2012

The New Normal

image via www.imdb.com

Show: The New Normal
Network: NBC
Time slot: Tuesdays 9:30/8:30c
Premieres: September 11th, 2012

The New Normal is a half-hour comedy brought to us by the creator of Glee, Ryan Murphy, and will air on NBC this fall. It's about what some people would say is a controversy topic, but those who say that are probably not very open-minded individuals. I love the concept of a young newly single struggling mother who becomes a surrogate for a gay couple. More than the concept, I love the chemistry of the cast and how the feelings of each of the characters seem so sincere and heartwarming. 

The pilot episode didn't feel too much like a pilot, like most first episodes of a new series can tend to do. I'm so in love with Andrew Rannells character Bryan, who plays a fine line of masculinity and femininity. I feel like sometimes they shows have characters who are overly flamboyant for the comedy factor, but that doesn't always work out for a show. Bryan, one half of the gay couple who wants a baby, is so full of love and hope and happiness and emotion that it gave me goosebumps to see how much he wants a baby.

image via www.examiner.com
Goldie Clemmons, portrayed by Georgia King, is a young mother who wants the world for her daughter, and after catching her husband cheating (ugghhh cheaters!!), she takes off with her daughter, Shania (Bebe Wood). Both Goldie and Shania are super cute. I know that's not the most eloquent way to describe them, but if you watch the show, you'll know exactly what I mean. I don't think the scrip did much to make watchers really want to pull for these characters, like they did with the gay couple, but I believe the more the show goes on the more they'll be able to show different sides to Goldie and Shania and their relationship that will make viewers want the best for them.

Other characters that make this show genuinely funny are Goldie's grandmother Jane Forest played by Ellen Barkin and Bryan's assistant Rocky, hilariously played by NeNe Leakes. In a show full of mushy love stories, between two men and a mom and daughter, come two characters with crazy antics. Jane, the grandmother, is not only racist but very homophobic. Of course someone has to be against what Goldie is doing, to make the show more interesting, and Jane does just that. Rocky is loud and quick with the one liners-- I really enjoyed her on Glee and am glad she's on a show where she will more than likely get more screen time.

^Watch the Promo!^

Bottom Line: I'll give it a chance, I give most shows more than one episode to pull me in. I'm a little scared to get into it, since more than likely NBC will cancel it half-way through the season, seeing as I don't think it will pull in a great amount of viewers. However, I do wish the show the best of luck, and I can't wait to see where the characters go from here.

xoxo
e.m.





No comments:

Post a Comment